Department of Endocrinology and Diabetes
Endocrinology is a specialty of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to hormones. Therefore, Endocrinology focuses on the endocrine glands that secrete hormones.
Endocrine diseases are classified into three broad groups:
- Endocrine gland hyposecretion, a condition in which the gland is not producing enough hormone leading to hormone deficiency.
- Endocrine gland hypersecretion, a condition in which the gland is overactive and produces excessive hormone leading to surplus levels of certain hormones.
- Tumours of endocrine glands can be benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous)
Hormonal imbalances can lead to conditions like Diabetes, Metabolic Disorders of Growth and Puberty, Osteoporosis, Thyroid diseases like Hyperthyroidism or Hypothyroidism, Difficult to Treat Hypertension, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), Hirsutism, Menopause, Hyperlipidaemia, Hypoglycaemia amongst many others.
Endocrinologists are specially trained physicians who diagnose and treat diseases related to the glands with an aim to restore the normal balance of hormones found in a patient’s body, thus treating the signs and symptoms.
Our diabetes clinic is managed by a specialised team of endocrinologists, diabetologists and dieticians who offer holistic treatments for patients suffering from diabetes. The patient is supervised by our trained physicians and guided to intensive insulin therapy depending upon the stage of diabetes.
Type I Diabetes
- Patients do not produce insulin which naturally results in elevated blood sugar levels.
- Treatments offered include insulin, dietary changes and exercise.
Type II Diabetes
- Patients stop responding to insulin prepared by their body.
- Treatments offered include non-insulin medication, insulin and weight management.
While many people think that bone-related problems are a result of an underlying degenerative disease or an injury, it is very important to know that there is a very deep connection between bone metabolism and our hormones (including parathyroid hormone, vitamin D, estrogen, and testosterone). Metabolic abnormalities in the bones can disrupt the balance of minerals in the bones and lead to severe bone disorders which include the following:
- Paget’s disease of the bone
- Genetic conditions such as XLH and osteogenesis imperfecta (OI)
Our team of specialists consists of highly specialized endocrinologists accompanied by medical oncologists, gastroenterologists, pathologists, surgeons, transplant specialists, radiologists, nuclear medicine specialists, anaesthesiologists and nurses who work in close collaboration to offer treatment for a wide range of benign and malignant neuroendocrine tumours. Our areas of specialization include the following;
- Adrenal cancer
- Carcinoid tumours
- Merkel cell carcinoma
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors
Be it precise diagnosis, cutting edge treatments or state of the art care, we offer it all to help you manage your thyroid. Apart from prescribing proper medication, our doctors also help you with healthy lifestyle and dietary modifications that help to keep your problem at bay. To rule out the possibility of cancer, we offer the following tests to assess your thyroid nodules:
- Physical examination
- Thyroid function tests
- Fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy
- Thyroid scan
Our Lipocrinology clinic is handled by top-notch endocrinologists and physicians who are experienced with handling patients suffering from problems related to lipid metabolism affecting their blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Some common disorders treated by us include:
- Tay-Sachs disease
- Gaucher disease
- Low HDL cholesterol
- Mixed hypolipoproteinaemia